Fun Educational Programs for Kids!
From the shelter to the classroom, the Kentucky Humane Society offers many exciting Humane Education Programs for children! We’re making Louisville and surrounding areas a better place for our kids, cats and canines alike.
Please Note: Any group of 5 or more wishing to visit the shelter needs to contact the KHS Humane Education Manager at (502) 515-3149 or click the button above. Tours are $1 per person, last one hour and are conducted Monday through Thursday during business hours. Tours are not available on weekends. Thank you!
B.A.R.K. in-Classroom Programs
KHS brings humane education to the classroom! Be Aware, Responsible & Kind (B.A.R.K) is a curriculum for students in Kentuckiana schools. This program teaches children how to be animal ambassadors through lessons on pet care, responsibility and safety. B.A.R.K presentations are taught by our renowned Education Manager (and former teacher) and can be customized to meet curriculum goals and core content guidelines. Our programs are perfect for a class, auditorium, or field trip that includes a guided shelter tour.
- The Pet Suitcase (K-3rd) - A fun, interactive learning experience that teaches students about responsible pet care.
- Dog Safety (K-3rd) - Students learn how to safely meet and interact with dogs in a variety of situations. Students will practice their new skills with KHS ambassador dog, Lulu.
- A Shelter Tail (3rd-8th) - An engaging PowerPoint presentation that introduces students to the Kentucky Humane Societies Mission and ways they can help all companion animals. This program is a great way to jump start a service learning project!
We can also tailor a presentation to fit your needs.
Through a great partnership with the Girls Scouts of Kentuckiana, KHS offers workshops for young pet lovers! We will be offering workshops for Daisies and Brownies that include as special KHS patch! We also offer service-learning opportunities for Senior Girl Scouts through our volunteer department. Check back soon to see our workshop descriptions and calendar for 2012-13!
Educational Field Trips
Are you looking for an exciting new learning experience for your class’ field trip this school year? KHS now offers educational field trips! Field trips include a PowerPoint slide presentation which highlights the role of KHS in our community. A tour follows the presentation, where the group is guided through our facility, stopping to visit some of our furry residents. After your lesson of choice, students get to spend some time in our education room with a shelter puppy or two.
Choice of lesson topics includes:
- Pet Care Suitcase (recommended for grades K to 5) – students learn about everything they need to responsibly care for a dog or cat
- Dog Safety (recommended for grades K to 5) – students learn how to greet a dog properly and the steps to stay safe if a stray dog approaches
- Dog/Cat Body Language (recommended for K to 8) – students learn how our furry friends use their bodies to communicate
- How to be an Animal Advocate (recommended for 6 to 8) – students learn how to can be a voice for our companion animal friends.
We can also tailor a lesson to fit your needs! Field trips are scheduled Monday through Friday after 10:30 p.m., are two hours in length and are only $1 per student! Behind-the-scenes tours and SNIP clinic visits are available for grades 6 and up for an additional $1 per student.
Summer Camp for Kids
Learn more about our summer camp program for kids, with weeklong camps offered weekly June through August.
Check back in February 2014 for new summer dates!