Our Pets Need You!
Adult Volunteers Must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Attend an adult volunteer orientation
- Complete volunteer application at orientation
- Volunteer at least 2 hours per month for a 6 month commitment
Adult volunteer opportunities include:
Although animal interaction is limited, you can help the animals in so many ways!
- Clerical Assistant -- Assist with mailings, data entry, scheduling appointments and answering phone calls at our S.N.I.P. Clinic.
- Donation Bank -- Place donation bank canisters in area businesses, as well as collect monies and report monthly earnings.
Help KHS by working with pet lovers in the community!
- Camp Counselor -- Educate the next generation of pet guardians during summer camps, June through August.
- Pet Photography -- Assist with Pet Photography Program. We need numerous assistants who retrieve pets and pose them while photographers take their pictures; we also need photographers. Pet Photograpy is a blast, and you will directly help a pet get adopted faster by ensuring the online photos are attractive and show off each pet's true personality.
- Special Events -- Support event staff by helping with flyer distribution, event setup and more.
- Working Cat Program -- Assist with educating property owners of the importance of the Working Cat Program. Also assist with placing cats in their new barn home environment or picking up equipment within a 50-mile radius of Louisville.
- KHS Pet Help Line -- Interested in cat or dog behavior? Answer common behavior questions to the KHS Pet Help Line through emails and phone calls. You will be trained on how to address common behavior issues.
Pet Care, Training & Socialization
Give animals much-needed attention and care, helping them become the type of pets adopters prefer!
- Animal Enrichment – Distribute treats and toys to the pets up for adoption, helping make their stay with us more enjoyable and interactive.
- Canine Coach -- Exercise and socialize adult dogs by walking them around campus and teaching them basic commands.
- Kitty Comfort -- Exercise and socialize with adult cats and kittens
- Puppy Pals -- Assist with socializing puppies and keeping the puppy room environment clean.
- Foster Care Parent -- Temporarily care for special needs pets who are not yet ready to be adopted, including puppies, kittens, injured pets and those needing extra socialization. Emergency foster parents are also needed during times of overcrowding. Download our foster parent application.
- Veterinary Services -- Assist veterinary staff in providing quality care to pets at the KHS main campus or S.N.I.P. Clinic. Experience required.
- External Behavior Assistant -- Act as an assistant to the lead behavior trainer during our behavior training classes. You will assist with class demonstrations, selling behavior products and much more.
How to Volunteer
Download our Volunteer Handbook (PDF) to learn more about the program.