Your donation will support KHS' lifesaving mission to help local homeless cats and dogs. In addition, everyone who submits a photo is guaranteed to have their pet's photo printed in the calendar collage. Plus, each entrant will be mailed a 2021 calendar in November.
Photo submissions are 1 for $25, 2 for $40, 3 for $60 or 4 for $80. For that donation, you will have the chance to have your pet as the Featured Pet of the Month. There are eleven chances to be a Featured Pet of the the Month (printed photos are approximately 8.5x11 inches), and 24 chances to a be a Runner Up (Runner Up photos are approx. 2x3 inches).
Plus, everyone who submits a photo will have their pet's photo printed in the calendar's Lifelong Friends Collage and will be mailed a copy of the 2021 Pet Calendar in November 2020.
All photos submitted will enter into a contest to be judged by our calendar committee. Committee members will judge photos based solely on the quality of the photo - judges will not know who submitted which photos. Each submission fee will support KHS' lifesaving adoption, spay/neuter and education programs.
Brought to you by:
The rules for submitting photos
You can enter this contest by submitting a digital or hardcopy photo. All entries must be in color, with a horizontal layout and contain ONLY animals.
For digital photos, we require well-focused, sharp images that are at least 300 dpi (dots per inch) at a 4"x6" size and in JPEG (JPG) or TIFF format. Send digital images using the online submission form.
Hardcopy photos should be no smaller than 4"x6" photographs. We do not accept Polaroid photos or copyrighted-professional photographs. Photos cannot be returned. For clarity and quality photo reproduction, please do not stamp or write on the back of photos.
All entries that meet these requirements and are postmarked or emailed by August 30, 2020, will be included in the 2020 Pet Calendar. Winners will be notified by phone or email, and the calendar will be available in November 2020.
All entries will be blind judged by KHS, with the top 11 photos featured as "Pets of the Month" and 24 runners-up included in smaller photos within the calendar portion of each month's page. All other photos will be included in the calendar as part of the Lifelong Friends Collage.
Questions about our calendar or the contest? Call (502) 515-3143 or e-mail [email protected]
Tips for Photographing Your Pet
Location and Background
- Look for a location where your pet will be relaxed and natural.
- Photograph your pet against a color that contrasts with his/her coat.
It's in the Eyes
- Focus on your pet's eyes, as the eyes will convey your pet's personality the best.
- Avoid shooting in low light situations where flash is required and your pet's eyes are likely to glow.
Black and White Coats
- When working with dark animals, make adjustments to properly expose the image.
- When photographing animals with very light coats, make sure the lighting is not too bright.
Patience is a Virtue
- Don't get frustrated. Stay relaxed and have fun, and your pet will too!
- Enlist a helper or squeak toys to get your pet to look toward the camera.