As I peered into her open mouth, I saw the rawhide in the back of her throat, blocking her airway. Luckily, I was able to get it out with a gentle Heimlich pump and she slowly woke up. In just a couple of minutes, she was back to her old self, begging for the rawhide I still held in my hands. I was extremely lucky. She was fine. If I had found her just a few minutes later, would I have been able to save her? Even if so, what about brain damage? What if I hadn’t known what to do? My pulse quickens to think about it.
Unfortunately, it takes an incident such as this to make us realize the importance of learning Pet First Aid. Our furry friends can’t tell us what is wrong and sometimes action must be taken immediately. Getting your pet to the vet as quickly as possible is always the first option…but in my case, it wasn’t an option at all.
KHS is offering a Pet First Aid class on November 10 from 6 to 8 p.m. at our East Campus. Taught by certified Pet First Aid Instructor Sara Beavin, this invaluable class will teach you how to handle a variety of pet emergencies including choking, seizures, bloat, punctures and more. I have had two KHS campers tell us how they saved the lives of their dog from of a Pet First Aid presentation at camp. Don’t wait until an accident happens. Be prepared and find out how to help your furry family member. Call 502-515-3149 to learn more!