Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are canceling all group Dog Training classes starting March 17. We apologize to our current behavior clients about this! We will post when classes resume.
We are so appreciative of our students and your commitment to improving the human-animal bond, but we are following recommendations by our local, state and national government officials. If you are currently enrolled in a class which has already started, expect a staff member to reach out to you to discuss your options moving forward. If the class for which you are enrolled hasn’t started yet, we will issue you a full refund as per our cancellation policy unless you tell us otherwise by March 24. Part of our organization’s mission is to create more compassionate communities, and we feel the best way to do that now is to help flatten the curve by promoting social distancing. We will miss seeing you and your pets in class. We hope the COVID-19 pandemic will come and go quickly so all of us can return to our daily routines. In the meantime, stay safe and healthy!
Interested in one-on-one training? Check out our Individual Training options, which include In-Home Training with you and your dog, In-Office Consultations, and Day Training, in which our insured trainers come to your home and work with your dog while you're away.
Why Choose KHS Behavior Training?
- Because we believe in finding proactive solutions for your companion animals by strengthening and restoring the relationship with your canine. This means every member of our community has access to behavior training from some of the best instructors in the city!
- Our trainers have been educated in positive reinforcement training and ONLY use dog- and human-friendly techniques.
- We are proud to offer professional training services from behavior experts holding certifications such as: CPDT-KA (Certified Professional Dog Trainer - Knowledge Assessed) from the Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT), ACDBC (Associate Certified Dog Behavior Consultant) from the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC), and Canine Good Citizen Evaluator from the American Kennel Club. They also hold professional memberships with the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT) and the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC). These memberships and prestigious certifications require hours of in-class and hands-on training experience and are maintained through mandatory continued education and study. Our trainers have passed independent, science-based exams to demonstrate years of experience, knowledge, and skill in applicable areas and all can provide veterinarian, client, and colleague recommendations.
- We have a very low student-to-instructor ratio (usually not more than eight students per one instructor) to give you and your dog individualized attention.
Benefits of Behavior Training
Through education and positive training, we can help…
- Develop a better relationship between you and your pet
- Prevent common canine behaviors, like chewing, jumping and play-biting, before they become a problem
- Address "bad" behaviors like digging, house-soiling and excessive barking
- Socialize your dog with four-legged and two-legged friends
Plus, all behavior training fees benefit KHS!
Vaccines Prior to Class
Please bring a copy of your dog’s most recent vaccinations to the first night of class. Vaccinations required are rabies, distemper/parvo (titers accepted for dogs over two years of age) and bordetella.
There have been documented cases of Canine Influenza in our area. The Kentucky Humane Society strongly recommends that the Canine Influenza Vaccine and subsequent booster vaccination be given prior to attending behavior training class. Students who elect not to get this vaccination may attend class but will be asked to sign a waiver.
The state of Kentucky requires a 6% sales tax on all companion animal veterinary services, grooming, boarding, doggie daycare, behavior training classes and pet adoptions. This affects customers at our Healthy Pets Clinic, S.N.I.P. Clinic, Eastpoint Pet Resort and Fern Creek Pet Resort, as well as Behavior Training clients and adopters. We understand this is an additional cost and may be a burden to our clients. The Kentucky Humane Society is a nonprofit dedicated to creating compassionate communities, so we keep prices as reasonable as we can. Thank you for understanding! Learn more about the tax law: https://taxanswers.ky.gov/