Cat adoption fees range from $35 to $105. Dog adoption fees range from $55 to $350 (plus an additional $10.50 for any applicable Jefferson County licensing fees), with the average fee being $155.
All Adoption Fees Include:
- Microchipping, plus 24PetWatch microchip registration
- Up-to-date vaccinations
- FREE month of PetFirst Pet Insurance (optional registration)
- More than $125 in KHS gift certificates (for behavior training, pet boarding, doggie daycare, adoptions and more!)
- $100 Feeders Supply coupon book
- A great new furry companion!
Pets with higher adoption fees (typically dogs or cats that are highly desireable breeds) are called Legacy Pets. These pets leave a financial legacy for those animals who may need extensive medical care or just more time to find a loving home.
We Can Hold an Animal for You!
Unless there is an adoption special involving the pet, a 24-hour hold may be placed on a cat or dog with a $25 hold fee, paid by credit card, cash or check. This $25 hold fee is in addition to the pet’s adoption fee and is non-refundable should the hold party decide not to adopt. Holds may only be placed during adoption hours. No holds will be placed within an hour of the posted closing time for the adoption center.
It's often possible to adopt your new best friend on the spot! Here is how our adoption process works…
- First, you’ll complete our Pawsitive PetMatch™ survey. An adoption counselor will review the survey with you to help you find a good match for your family, lifestyle and expectations.
- Feel free to ask questions you may have about pet breeds, caring for a pet or whatever you’d like! Our knowledgeable staff will be happy to offer advice and answer your questions.
- Once you visit with our adoptable pets and select the one for you and your family, you’ll begin the adoption paperwork, as well as pay the adoption fee and any other applicable fees. At this time, you’ll also learn about other KHS services that will help create a lasting bond between you and your new pet.
- Take home your new best friend!
- The whole process can often take as little as an hour.