Save a Life - Adopt!
Check out our adoptable DOGS
See HORSES ready for adoption
More about Dog and Cat Adoptions
Visit one of our ten permanent adoption sites for dogs and cats today!
Questions about how to adopt? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions or call Adoptions at (502) 366-3355. You can also view locations, hours and phone numbers for each of our 10 adoption centers.
All adoption fees for dogs and cats include:
- Microchipping, plus 24PetWatch microchip registration
- Up-to-date vaccinations
- FREE month of PetFirst Pet Insurance (optional registration)
- More than $125 in KHS gift certificates (for behavior training, pet boarding, doggie daycare, adoptions and more!)
- $100 Feeders Supply coupon book
- A great new furry companion!
We Can Hold an Animal for You!
Unless there is an adoption special involving the pet, we’re happy to place a 24-hour hold on a cat or dog you’re interested in with a $25 hold fee, paid by credit card, cash or check. If you decide to adopt that pet, the $25 will be applied directly to his/her adoption fee. If you choose not to adopt, we kindly thank you for your $25 donation to KHS!
It's often possible to adopt your new best friend on the spot! Here is how our adoption process works…
- First, you’ll complete our adoption survey. An adoption counselor will review the survey with you to help you find a good match for your family, lifestyle and expectations.
- Feel free to ask any questions you’d like! Our knowledgeable staff will be happy to offer advice and answer your questions.
- Once you visit with our adoptable pets and select the one for you and your family, you’ll begin the adoption paperwork, as well as pay the adoption fee and any other applicable fees. At this time, you’ll also learn about other KHS services that will help create a lasting bond between you and your new pet.
- Take home your new best friend!
Want to complete an adoption application now?
Thanks to Feeders Supply
Lots of dog and cat kisses to Feeders Supply for allowing KHS to adopt out homeless pets at seven of their stores! Over 50% of all pets adopted from KHS are adopted from a Feeders Supply KHS adoption center.
Hill's Science Diet Starter Bag
The Kentucky Humane Society proudly feeds our pets Hill's Science Diet. Our adopters get a coupon to receive a free starter bag from our East Campus, 1000 Lyndon Lane.
Bayer Coupons for Adopters
Healthy beginnings start with healthy pets. Bayer's Shelter Blueprint program provides affordable Bayer flea, tick and heartworm disease prevention products to the Kentucky Humane Society. Bayer also provides exclusive coupons and rebates for their products in our adoption packets. That means families adopting a cat or dog can focus on the fun of bringing a new pet home.
- Where can I adopt a cat or dog from the Kentucky Humane Society?
- How do I adopt a cat or dog?
- How much is the adoption fee and what does it include?
- I already have a dog at home. Can I bring him to meet the dog that I want to adopt?
- Why do you have different adoption fees for the animals?
- How many pets do you adopt out each year?
- What food do you feed your pets?
- How long do pets remain up for adoption?
- How many pets do you have up for adoption? What if I don’t find a pet?
We have 10 permanent adoption locations – the Kentucky Humane Society’s East Campus in Lyndon and 9 Feeders Supply adoption sites throughout the Louisville area. The Feeders Supply-KHS adoption sites are located in the following areas: Clarksville (Ind.), Fern Creek, Hikes Point, Okolona, Pewee Valley, Springhurst, St. Matthews, Shively and Valley Station. View pictures and profiles of adoptable cats and adoptable dogs in need of homes.
While visiting one of our 10 adoption sites, a KHS adoption counselor will help you find the pet who’s the best match for your family and lifestyle. After you select a pet, you’ll complete an adoption application and, once approved, a KHS staff person will begin the adoption process, which often takes as little as an hour. Once you have reviewed all adoption paperwork, you’ll pay the adoption fee. Then, you’re ready to take home your new furry family member!
Cat adoption fees range from $45 to $115, and dog adoption fees range from $65 to $350. The adoption fee includes spaying/neutering, microchipping and microchip registration, up-to-date vaccinations, one free month of PetFirst Pet Insurance and more than $200 in KHS and Feeders Supply coupons. It does not include $10.50 for any applicable Jefferson County licensing fees.
Also, unless there is an adoption special that involves the pet, we’re more than happy to place a 24-hour hold on a cat or dog you’re interested in adopting. The hold fee is only $25, and can be paid by credit card, cash or check. If you decide to adopt that pet, the $25 will be applied directly to his/her adoption fee. If you choose not to adopt, the $25 fee becomes a donation to the Kentucky Humane Society!
Absolutely! We strongly encourage "meet-and-greets," where you bring your resident dog to meet the dog you plan to adopt. An adoption counselor will assist you with the dog-to-dog introduction. Your dog MUST be up-to-date on immunizations before we can allow an introduction with one of our adoptable pets. Unfortunately, we cannot do any off-site "meet-and-greets."
We determine each pet’s adoption fee based upon their age, breed and suitability with children and other pets, as well as other factors. Dogs and cats with a higher adoption fee leave a financial legacy for those animals who need extra help – whether they need extensive medical care or just a little more time to find a loving home.
At KHS, we are proud to feed our pets Hill's Science Diet. Each adopted pet receives a free sample bag for the adopter to take home, as well as a $5 coupon toward a future Hill's Science Diet food purchase.
At KHS, there is no "time limit" for cats and dogs who are up for adoption, and we find homes for every adoptable pet under our care. Some pets are adopted within a few hours, while other pets remain in our care for months.
On any given day, KHS has approximately 150 pets available for adoption at our 10 permanent adoption locations throughout the Louisville area. We have one of the widest selections of cats and dogs in the area, so don’t despair if you haven’t found the right pet for you just yet – you may find him or her tomorrow!