As fellow animal lovers and pet owners, we know you love to show off your furry best friend. Now’s your chance to have them featured in the popular 2024 Kentucky Humane Society Pet Calendar! We’ve got some great tips to help you get the purrfect photo to submit to the contest.
Location and Background
- Look for a location where your pet will be relaxed and natural.
- Photograph your pet against a color that contrasts with his/her coat.
It’s in the Eyes
- Focus on your pet’s eyes, as the eyes will convey your pet’s personality the best.
- Avoid shooting in low light situations where flash is required and your pet’s eyes are likely to glow.
Black and White Coats
- When working with dark animals, make adjustments to properly expose the image.
- When photographing animals with very light coats, make sure the lighting is not too bright.
Patience is a Virtue
- Don’t get frustrated. Stay relaxed and have fun, and your pet will too!
- Enlist a helper or squeak toys to get your pet to look toward the camera.
So there you have it! Once you’ve got your photo(s), be sure to submit them before August 11, 2023. Photo submission donations are 1 for $25, 2 for $40 or 3 for $60. Each donation gives your pet a chance to be one of 11 Featured Pets of the Month, or 36 Runner Ups. Everyone who submits a photo is guaranteed to have their pet’s photo printed in the calendar collage. Plus, each entrant will be mailed a 2024 calendar!
Your Pet Calendar donation will support KHS’s lifesaving mission to help local homeless cats, dogs and horses. We can’t wait to see all the beautiful photos you submit!