Kentucky Humane Society Celebrates Cinco de Mayo
To celebrate Cinco de Mayo, the Kentucky Humane Society is offering $50 off the “whole enChihuahua” on Monday, May 5. All Chihuahuas/Chihuahua mixes qualify for this one-day, $50 off special. View all adoptable dogs at www.kyhumane.org/dogs.
Why is KHS celebrating the “whole enChihuahua”?
To raise awareness of the number of Chihuahuas in shelters.
- Nationally, Chihuahuas are one of the most common breeds of dogs in shelters. This is especially true in California, the Southwest and Florida, where Chihuahuas have become common due to pet overpopulation and their popularity in movies. However, there are lots in Kentucky shelters as well.
- Shelters can be being very stressful for Chihuahuas given their unique personalities. Chihuahuas typically bond closely with one or two people, and they miss their humans terribly when they are in a shelter. It may take them a few days to warm up to an adopter, but when they do, the love they show is unparalleled!
To educate “Chi” owners on the importance of spaying and neutering.
- Chihuahuas are the second dog breed least likely to be neutered – hence the pet overpopulation problem.
- Many owners think that, because Chihuahuas are small, they can better control their Chihuahuas when they go into “heat.” Wrong! Chihuahuas may be small, but they are mighty, determined little dogs.
To celebrate what makes Chihuahuas so special.
- Chihuahuas are an ancient breed that originated in Mexico.
- They are the only “original” toy breed, meaning they were not bred down from larger dogs.
- Chihuahuas are the smallest recognized dog breed.
- Chihuahuas are very loyal to their owners. They typically bond heavily with one or two people.
- They love to burrow in pillows and blankets, and are often found underneath the covers or at the bottom of the bed.
- Chihuahuas prefer to be lap dogs, and they don’t require much exercise – perfect for apartment dwellers or home bodies.
This $50 off adoption special is for Monday, May 5, in honor of Cinco de Mayo.
View all adoptable pets at KHS, including Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes, at www.kyhumane.org.