Surrendering your pet to a sheltering agency should be considered a last resort. Please consider all available alternatives prior to contacting the KHS Admissions Office. This may include rehoming your animal with a friend, relative or neighbor, or you may wish to contact our free Pet Help Line, 502-509-4738, for other resources.
Is your recent adoption from KHS not working out?
Learn about our "Perfect Pet Match" Exchange Program, which gives adopters a 14-day adjustment period to evaluate the pet’s progress and their adoption decision.
The Admissions Process
We accept the surrender of stray and owned cats and dogs by appointment. Please call (502) 366-3355 to inquire about an admissions appointment.
Phones are answered seven days a week from 9 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. Please be aware that we receive a high volume of calls. It may take 24-48 hours to receive a call back.
Before we can schedule a admissions appointment, you will be asked to complete an online owner questionnaire for each of your pets. This questionnaire will be received by our [email protected]. A Pet Help Line representative will get in touch with you to clarify any details, discuss all possible options available to you, as a pet owner, and when applicable, set up the surrender appointment. Please click on the approriate link below to complete the form.
To ensure a speedy adoption process, it is helpful if your pet is clean and well groomed, with nails trimmed; free of parasites, such as fleas, ticks, and ear mites; and up-to-date on vaccines.
Once the appointment is scheduled and the date arrives, expect your appointment to take approximately 30 minutes. You should bring all medical records for your animal, and your photo ID.
Learn about Admissions
Because KHS is a private nonprofit agency, KHS charges a small admissions fee for surrendered pets. This fee helps cover food, boarding and medical costs. It costs KHS approximately $250 to provide care for each animal that comes to us, so we welcome any donation you are able to make in addition to the admissions fee.
Dog / Cat
- 2-5 kittens = $45
- 6-10 kittens = $55
- 2-5 puppies = $45
- 6-10 puppies = $75
We understand how difficult it can be to surrender a pet. That's why we offer the STAR (social media, television, and/or radio) program. Through this optional admissions program, you can assure that your cat or dog will be a featured "pet of the week" on local media, which provides positive exposure that can help your pet get adopted faster. Plus, all STAR fees help support KHS mission programs. Learn more about the STAR Program.
There are some circumstances where animals cannot be placed up for adoption. These include:
- When animals show signs of aggression or severe behavior problems during administration of a nationally recognized temperament test. Please be aware that an animal that is friendly in your home may react differently towards strangers in the stressful shelter environment.
- When a veterinarian, after examination, determines the animal is too ill to be adopted.
In cases when pets are deemed unadoptable, the owner or finder can choose to be notified and can pick up the pet. Learn about our Euthanasia Policy
Safe Haven Program
The Kentucky Humane Society (KHS) and the Center for Women & Families established the Safe Haven program in 2001 to help care for the pets of domestic violence survivors.
Sadly, many people in an abusive relationships delay leaving their spouses or partners due to fear that they may hurt or injure their animal companions. But, KHS is here to help by offering a "safe haven" for their pets.
While these survivors seek help and shelter from abusive living situations, KHS provides a safe, anonymous home for their beloved dogs and cats. This program not only provides a safe place for the pets, but also helps puts the family at ease, knowing their furry friends will receive care and love until they can be reunited.
Make Your Pet a STAR
The Kentucky Humane Society (KHS) understands how difficult it can be to surrender a pet. That’s why we offer the STAR (social media, television, and/or radio) program. Through this optional admissions program, you can assure that your cat or dog will be a featured "pet of the week" on local media, which provides positive exposure that can help your pet get adopted faster. Plus, all STAR fees help support KHS mission programs.
Benefits of the STAR Program
- Cats and dogs enrolled in STAR (social media, television and/or radio) are featured as "pets of the week," helping them get adopted into loving homes faster.
- Your dog's canine behavior evaluation (4 months or older) is completed while you wait.
- You are able to monitor your pet's progress while they are at the Kentucky Humane Society.
- KHS will let you know within 24 hours when your pet has been adopted.
- You are able to reclaim your pet any time they are in our care at no charge.
- Should your pet be deemed unadoptable, you will be given a 24 hour notice and will be able to reclaim your pet.
- Dog or puppy: $75
- Litter of 2-5 (dogs/puppies): $100
- Litter of 6-10 (dogs/puppies): $125
- Cat or kitten: $75
- Litter of 2-5 (cats/kittens): $100
- Litter of 6-10 (cats/kittens): $125
When you make an appointment for admissions, please express your interest in the STAR program. KHS only has one admissions location, its main facility in South Louisville. View directions and hours of operation.
If you have additional questions, call (502) 366-3355.