The Kentucky Humane Society (KHS) is joining BISSELL Pet Foundation and Dogtopia for their national “Empty the Shelters” event. Thursday-Sunday, May 11-14, adoption fees will be waived for all KHS dogs one year and older.
No Adoption Fees on Adult Dogs:
Thursday, May 11:
- The KHS Main Campus, 241 Steedly Drive, will process adoption applications 11am-5pm.
- The KHS East Campus, 1000 Lyndon Lane, will process adoption applications 11am-3:30pm.
Friday, May 12:
- The KHS Main Campus will process adoption applications 11am-5pm.
- East Campus will be closed.
Saturday, May 13:
- Adoptable dogs will be at LOU Adopts! Mega Adoption Event at the Kentucky Exposition Center Pavilion. Applications will be processed 12-4pm.
- The KHS Main Campus will process adoptions 11am-4pm.
- The KHS East Campus will be closed.
Sunday, May 14:
- The KHS Main Campus and East Campus will be processing adoption applications 11am-4pm.
Adopters in Jefferson County are responsible for licensing fees ($10.50), and donations are gratefully accepted. Adoption holds do not apply. Fees waived for adult dogs on site, as well as adult dogs in foster.
About BISSELL Pet Foundation’s Empty the Shelters
BISSELL Pet Foundation, a national animal welfare organization dedicated to ending pet homelessness, is teaming up with Dogtopia for the foundation’s first “Empty the Shelters” national adoption event of 2023. From May 1 to May 15, BISSELL Pet Foundation’s Spring National “Empty the Shelters” will occur at more than 350 shelters in 45 states with pets available for adoption for just $50 or less, including the Kentucky Humane Society.
Since the 2016 inception of BISSELL Pet Foundation’s “Empty the Shelters,” nearly 140,000 pets at 605 animal welfare organizations in 47 states and Canada have received second chances. An average of 1,000 shelter pets are adopted each day during each quarterly national event. Through this partnership and continued support, the foundation is looking forward to reaching more pets in more shelters and communities during this upcoming event.
“BISSELL Pet Foundation’s “Empty the Shelters’ is proven to make a lifesaving difference, and we are thrilled to team up with Dogtopia, who shares our vision to give every pet their best life,” said Cathy Bissell, Founder of BISSELL Pet Foundation. “This is a very difficult time for shelters across the country, with increasing owner surrenders due to the housing crisis and inflation as well as slowed adoption rates. With Dogtopia’s partnership, we are hopeful more pets than ever will find homes during this national event.”
BISSELL Pet Foundation and the Kentucky Humane Society urge families to do their research about the pet they are interested in adopting, as well as adoption requirements. For more information on adopting or donating to “Empty the Shelters,” visit www.bissellpetfoundation.org/empty-the-shelters as well as www.kyhumane.org.